- I am calling in regards to the Terrorism Risk Insurance Revision Act (TRIA) and its provisions from the Life Insurance Fairness for Travelers (LIFT) Act.
- I urge your support of the provisions from the LIFT Act included in TRIA (S. 467), which passed the House of Representatives by a vote of 371-49.
- The provisions from the LIFT Act protect travelers from being denied life insurance, simply because they may plan international travel.
- Currently, life insurance companies can deny coverage to people based solely upon plans for legal travel to different international destinations.
- The LIFT provisions require that any insurer benefiting from TRIA, which also offers life insurance, must offer coverage that does not preclude future lawful foreign travel.
- The language allows for risk-based pricing by insurers, but it stipulates that premiums for such coverage must not be excessive and must be based on a good faith actuarial analysis.
- The language can be found in the "Mandatory Availability" section of the bill.
- I urge you to support the LIFT language as the House and Senate work to reconcile their differences between their respective TRIA legislation.
- In addition to the LIFT provisions, the House version of TRIA includes critical reforms that will help protect the American economy in the event of another terrorist attack. It includes important group life provisions because why insure the buildings, brick and mortar when you aren't insuring the people inside - (helping ease the financial loss for the families of those people in the event of another terrorist attack)?
- Without Group Life & the House version of the bill, LIFT will not be as effective because it applies to insurers covered by TRIA